Arancini - Italian Rice Balls
• 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped finely
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 cup arborio rice
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 cup frozen peas
• 40 g ham, chopped finely
• 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
• 100 g mozzarella cheese
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• plain flour
• 1 egg, lightly beaten (extra)
• 1 tablespoon milk
• 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
• vegetable oil, for deep frying
Change Measurements: US
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hr
1. 1 Bring stock to boil in a medium pan. Reduce the heat to low and keep hot.
2. 2 Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add onion and garlic and cook stirring until onion is soft but not coloured. Add rice and cook stirring through until rice is translucent (about 2 minutes). Add the wine and stir through until liquid evaporated.
3. 3 Add about 1/3 cup of the hot stock, and stir over a low-medium heat until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat until all the stock is used (about 25 minutes).
4. 4 Stir in the peas and ham and salt & pepper to taste. Remove from heat and gently fold in parmesan cheese. Transfer the risotto to a bowl and cool.
5. 5 Chop the mozzarella into 18 pieces.
6. 6 Stir the egg into the risotto. Roll 2 level tablespoons of risotto into a ball; press a piece of mozzarella into the centre of each ball; roll to enclose. Toss the balls in flour, shake away excess. Dip into the combined extra egg and milk and coat in breadcrumbs. Makes 18 balls.
7. 7 Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan, deep ry the arancini in batches until they are browned and heated through.
8. 8 Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot.