Quick Italian cream cake
• 1 (18.25-oz.) box butter pecan cake mix
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg whites
• 1 1/4 cups water
• 1 teaspoon coconut extract
• 1/2 cup chopped pecans
• toasted Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)
• Toasted coconut and pecans, optional (about 2 Tbsp. each)
Cream cheese icing
• 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
• 3 Tbsp. butter
• 1 (16-oz.) box confectioners sugar
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Preheat oven 350 degrees. Coat three 9-inch pans with nonstick cooking spray.
In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, oil, eggs, egg whites, water and coconut extract. Stir in pecans and coconut. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
Bake 12-15 minutes, until tops spring back when touched. Cool 10 minutes and turn out onto cooling racks. Frost layers and sides with Cream Cheese Icing (see recipe) and sprinkle with toasted coconut and pecans, if desired Cream cheese icing.
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar, mixing until light. Add vanilla.