• 1 lb. medium asparagus spears, tough ends removed
• 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
• 4 extra-large eggs
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
• Bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil.
• Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and divide the spears evenly among warmed plates.
• In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Break each egg into the pan, taking care not to puncture the yolk or let the egg whites overlap. Cook for 2 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2 Tbs. water into the pan, cover and cook until the whites are solid but the yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes more.
• Using a spatula, carefully drape 1 fried egg over each serving of asparagus. Sprinkle each serving liberally with the cheese and serve immediately.