1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the red pepper flakes. Stir in the tomato sauce (you can use any marinara sauce as the base), lemon juice, red wine and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until lightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
4. Add the fresh parsley just before serving. I think the longer you simmer the sauce the spicier it gets.
5. For the “Quickie” tomato sauce, see below.
6. Basic Tomato Sauce, AKA “The Quickie”
7. 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8. One 28-ounce can tomato sauce
9. ¼ cup tomato paste
10. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
11. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sauce and the tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and add the basil. Simmer for about 10 minutes.