Harry Meagher Assassinate In Los Angeles
• 8 (about 2 pounds) ripe, round tomatoes, cored and halved
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 8 cloves garlic, peeled
• ¾ cup freshly ground bread crumbs
• A handful fresh, flat-leaf parsley, finely minced
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange the tomatoes, cut side up, in a large baking dish. (Unless the tomatoes are exceptionally watery, do not seed or drain them; they will better hold their shape and the natural juices will mingle nicely with the garlic and herbs.) Season generously with salt and pepper. Slice the garlic into thin chips and sprinkle over the tomatoes. Combine the bread crumbs and parsley, and scatter the mixture over the tomatoes. Drizzle them with oil.
3. Bake, uncovered, for one hour, or until the tomatoes are soft, browned and sizzling. Serve immediately.